Can you get rid of cellulite?
In our perpetual hunt for perfection, can you get rid of cellulite, is a question that’s often asked. Cellulite is a huge challenge. It’s the dimpled-looking skin that’s usually found on your thighs and buttocks.
It occurs in over 85% of women over 21 years, and tends to occur more in women than in men.
What causes cellulite?
Cellulite develops when fatty tissue in the deeper layers of the skin puts pressure on connective tissue. There are many factors that attribute to the causes cellulite. A few of them may be due to:
- unhealthy eating habits
- hormone imbalance
- poor blood circulation
- tissue inflammation
- loss of collagen
- weaker muscles
- weight gain
- lack of physical activity
- slow metabolism
4 Types of foods that cause cellulite
In addition, to the causes above, certain foods can also cause cellulite. Including:
- High sodium processed foods – like deli meats, bacon, and certain processed cheeses. Theses foods can contain as much as 790 milligrams of sodium, which in turn causes water retention. Extra water makes the cellulite in your skin more apparent.
- Sweentened processed drinks – like soda pops, energy drinks, and processed juices. These products are loaded with unhealthy sugars which attribute to cellulite.
- Foods high in saturated fat– like pizza, pies and sausages. Foods that contain unhealthy fats slow down your oxygen flow and blood circulation. This in turn weakens your connective tissues and makes the dimples in your skin more visible.
- Products that contain white flour– like white bread and processed muffins. When you eat products that contain white flour, your body converts the carbohydrates into sugar then glucose, the nutrient that damages collagen, (collagen is the protein that keeps your skin looking smooth).
Myths about cellulite
Cellulite is normal and has nothing to do with your state of health. However, if you want to look good in short dresses and swim suits, you may want to get rid of it. Just be aware of the following myths.
1. Some over-the-counter products claim to remove cellulite by removing impurities and toxins from the body. Buying these products, can be a waste of money. As there’s no proof that they actually work.
2. People believe that cellulite appears in overweight people only, yet it appears in people of all weight levels.
3. It’s a myth that cardio will remove cellulite through weight loss. What really works is doing weight training and cardio.
4. There’s common belief that liposuction will help. Unfortunately, it makes the skin bumpier.
5. Tight hose will not solve the problem. In fact, restricting circulation often makes cellulite worse.
Can you get rid of cellulite with home remedies?
No. You cannot get rid of cellulite at home. However, there are home remedies that may reduce the appearance of cellulite in the short-term.
14 Methods to reduce the appearance of cellulite
Drink more water! It’s an affordable way to stay hydrated, boost circulation and lymphatic flow, and reduce the appearance of cellulite. According to experts, dehydration weakens and thins the skin, and makes cellulite more obvious.
Cellulite is more noticeable in overweight/obese people than in other people. If you have excess weight, lose it to reduce the appearance of cellulite.
Strengthen those muscles! Developing stronger muscles and tighter skin through exercise will reduce the appearance of cellulite.
The key is to exercise regularly (2 to 3 times a week) and eat less. When working out, you’ll want to combine cardio with strength training and focus on your hips, thighs and butt.
You can perform one or more of these exercises to can help you get reduce the appearance of cellulite:
- Side Lunges:
- Stand up straight with your feet hip-width apart.
- Step out wide to the right side. Keeping both feet on the floor, bend your knees as you push your hips backwards.
- Using the same leg, push off and return to the start position.
- Repeat using your left leg.
- Stand up straight with your feet shoulder width apart. Be sure to keep your toes pointed forward
- Next lower your butt as if you are about to sit down. Don’t let your knees go over toes.
- Squeeze your butt as you come back up to the staring position.
- Using an exercise box (or something similar) using one foot at a time, step on and off of the front of the box.
- Glute Bridge:
- Lie face up on the floor, with your knees bent up and your feet flat on the ground. Be sure to keep your arms at your side with your palms down.
- Now lift your hips up off the ground until your knees, hips and shoulders form a straight line. Then squeeze your glutes hard, keeping your abdominal drawn. Be careful not to overextend your back while doing the exercise.
- Hold the bridged position for a couple of seconds before easing your body back down to the floor.
Additionally, to keep from getting bored, you may want to add these fat burning aerobic exercises to your routine:
Carefully consider what you eat. Avoid sugared beverages and refined carbohydrates if you want to lose weight. Eat small amounts of whole grains as they are rich in fiber and nutrients. Eat more fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds to feed the skin with nutrients and healthy fat. The huge amounts of fiber help to remove toxins and waste from the gut, meaning that less toxins are stored in the fat cells.
As an added health benefit, you may want consider drinking lemon water. It’s a great way to keep your body hydrated, add vitamin C to your diet and flush out toxins.
5.Bioactive collagen peptides
You can also take bioactive collagen peptides (a supplement), to reduce the appearance of cellulite. In a 2015 study, women who supplemented with bioactive collagen peptides for 6 months experienced a reduction in the appearance of cellulite on their thighs.
The reduction was more noticeable in moderate-weight women than in overweight women.
Massage, using a gadget at home or by a professional massage therapist, reduces cellulite by improving lymphatic drainage. It also stretches the skin tissue and, in the process, it stretches out cellulite dimples.
Note:You will need to repeat the process in order to achieve and maintain the desired results.
Daily dry brushing can jumpstart lymphatic drainage which then removes toxins from your fat cells. This prevents inflammation and reduces the appearance of cellulite. Do it before taking a shower. And remember to moisturize your skin after you shower.
8.Use retinol body cream
After dry brushing, you can choose to apply retinol body cream in the cellulite areas. Retinol is collagen-building so it plumps up and smoothens the skin each time you use it.
You may have to use it for 6 months to see results. By the way, retinol makes your skin prone to sunburn, so add a layer of SPF if you apply it during the day.
Massage a ground coffee exfoliant to the skin to reduce the appearance of cellulite. Massaging your skin stimulates lymphatic drainage. Caffeine tightens and plumps up your skin. It also dehydrates the fat cells and, when they deflate, the cellulite is less obvious.
Instead of retinol, you can also apply a serum to your skin after dry brushing. Serums make your skin look stronger and your cellulite will be look less noticeable.
Get professional help to help you quit smoking. It affects the amount of blood that reaches the skin, making your skin thinner and saggy and your cellulite more visible.
12.Laser or radio frequency
You can have laser or radio frequency treatment, which blasts the skin with heat, and suction to making your skin look smoother. After treatment, you can enjoy smoother skin for 6 months or more. Treatment doesn’t hurt much but you may need several visits to complete it. These treatments can be pricey.
13.Apply bottle tan
Dimpled areas are less noticeable on darker skin. Therefore, if you have fair skin, apply self-tanning lotion to cellulite areas, then spray the whole body with a tanning spray. Avoid sun tanning as it damages your skin and makes your cellulite worse.
14.Use a combination of approaches
You can reduce the appearance of cellulite if you use a combination of these remedies. For example, you can lose weight through a healthy diet and aerobic exercise. At the same time, you can stop smoking, drink more water, do weight training to strengthen muscles, dry brush and apply retinol or serums to the skin. Or get regular body massage sessions, that will also help.
Removing cellulite permanently
To permanently remove cellulite, you’ll need an in-office treatment with a dermatologist or plastic surgeon. There are several cellulite-blasting technologies available. A good example is Cellfina, it’s FDA-approved, is minimally invasive, and has results that last at least one year. The cost can be as much as $5,000.
Now Back to You
So, can you get rid of cellulite? Yes and no. Although, you can’t use home remedies or creams to get rid of cellulite. There as many effective lifestyle changes you can make that will help you to reduce the appearance, such as losing weight, exercising regularly, dry brushing and avoiding foods that cause cellulite.
By following these steps, you’ll be rocking your short skirt in no time!